Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How to start your novel, or not.







How to start your novel, or not

Step 1: write some words (text editor, pen/paper, back of a Dunkin Donuts receipt etc.)
Step 2: Repeat Step 1




I was looking for a shocking opener for today's post.  Something to grab the reader's attention and NOT let go.  The truth is, writing a novel really is that simple.  Writers write.  That's the only way you're going to get from A to B.  You have to just start writing and keep going from there.  It's sort of like working out in that way.

Afterwards, you'll revise, rewrite and revise some more.  If you're really serious about your craft, perhaps you'll show your masterpiece to your wife, husband, or for the more cautious amongst you, the family pet.  That's when you'll either be plagued with self-doubt, or replete from their glowing praise.  Then after you're really (really) serious about it, you might try to get an agent, or maybe go the self-publishing route.  Whatever your journey to literary heights may be, I'll be assured of one thing:  you at least did Step 1 and Step 2 (unless you used cmd-c and cmd-v to copy/paste and plagiarize your tome).

Now, just for a moment, I want you to forget about Step 1 and Step 2.  There are a couple additional steps that I take before I start writing a novel.  These precursor steps work for the thrillers I write, but I'm not as confident they're a must do for literary fiction, romance books, zombie sagas or cooking yarns, but perhaps they'll do.

My precursor steps to writing a novel are:
Precursor Step 1: Get yourself a good "what if" question
Precursor Step 2: Define your McGuffin


When we put it all together, the steps to writing a novel flow as follows:


Precursor Step 1: Get yourself a good "what if" question
Precursor Step 2: Define your McGuffin
Step 1: Write some words
Step 2: Repeat Step 1
Step 3: Fix the words you wrote in Step 1 and Step 2
Step 4: Show your work to the family pet (if said work is still suspect) or family member/friend (if not)


I'll elaborate a bit on the "What If" question here.  Fabuolous author (full disclosure, my father as well) Michael Palmer describes the "What  If" as follows:
"Preparation for every one of my books begins with a simple, one sentence (two at the absolute most), "What if" question. For example, creating The Patient began with the question: What if the most ruthless terrorist in the world had a brain tumor and needed surgery? For Extreme Measures, the question was: What if there was a drug (like the one described in Wade Davis's wonderful book, The Serpent and the Rainbow) that can make you look dead to a trained physician even though you aren’t. For The Sisterhood, I asked: What if there was a secret society of nurses dedicated to mercy killing? The “What if?” is the absolute beginning of each of my books. I work hard at crafting it, and then submit it to my agent or editor for scrutiny. The reward for that initial meticulousness is that I get to start on the long and harrowing road to a 400 page novel with clarity. I also have a brisk, tight way of describing my book to the publisher, an interviewer, or anyone else who asks."


The "What If" is essentially your book's guidepost, because a novel is a rather long journey to undertake without basic cartography skills.  If you don't have something that boils down the essence and core value of your work, you run the risk of adding stuff to your literary concoction that detracts from the flavor you so doggedly tried to release.  The "What If" showcases the point of your story--in other words, why should a reader be interested in what you're saying.  

Since the "What If" question fleshes out the big idea which defines your work, I'll be as bold as to suggest that you consider it a red flag, worthy of a story rethink, if yours doesn't at least raise an eyebrow or two.  Most of your story will flow from this central question, so it's essential that it be well crafted. From it, will come the characters in your yarn,  what's at stake in the book and most importantly, the conflicts to ensue.   I spend a great deal of time contemplating the "What If".  Once you have it down, then you've got to answer the other key question: why will the reader care?  Enter the McGuffin.

Author note: musings about the McGuffin I'll save for another post.   

Have you ever tried writing a "What If" question?  If so, I'd be keen on knowing your experience with the technique.


4 comments:

  1. What if...a quiet, unassuming working mother from a sleepy, bedroom town (pop. 1700) spends her days wondering how to bring meaning to her life when everything seems trite and insigificant...because it's hard to imagine how anything else could matter once you've dangled your perfectly healthy child over the cliff of death and then fought like hell to pull her back up only to find she was irreparably damaged in the process and so you're left to deal with the daily struggle of painting a happy face on an outcome you didn't bargain for?

    Convoluted, I know.

    Hint - McGuffin is me.

    :-)

    PS

    Starting my own Blog tomorrow. Literary therapy, I'm hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Mary. Thought though. A "What If" is good @25 words or less. Fiction, even literary fiction is built upon conflict. The conflict to save a child's life is of course immense. The question however is--what is in conflict for the main character as a result of this struggle? If for example it is the character's faith in God and the character also happens to be a Priest, well the conflict is evident. So the What If in turn could be: "What If an ordained priest calls into question his/her faith when a niece becomes critically ill."

    Memoirs/autobiographies may be less dependent on this technique, but even Jodi puts her characters in direct conflict with each other (Handle with Care-mother sues best friend who helped deliver her daughter born with a debilitating bone condition).

    Your story seems to focus on the adrenaline rush that comes from battling to save a child's life and the resulting let down the bulldozes her life afterwards. Depression and such is quite common in cancer patient survivors, but that is not widely publicized. That said, it's very interesting (and probably therapeutic for many) to make the primary caregiver's perspective front and center in a story.

    Why is this character FORCED to put on a happy face? Something in the character's life is working against the character's need. Does she seek solace elsewhere? With others whose values are counter to her own, but yet their compassion inspires her become the person her battled had unwittingly changed her into.

    Find out what that heart is--tap into it--use it in your What If, painful as it may be and perhaps story will begin to tell itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 - You're a genius - of which I am sure you're aware.

    #2 - I have SO many more "What Ifs", most will never see the light of day. In fact, it's quite unlikely that my self-imposed "Defining What If" will, simply because I'm not sure even I want the answer to the question I am asking.

    I will tell you this...I am forced to wear a happy face because if I don't, it makes me feel ungrateful for my daughter's life...such as it is. Katy was on a transplant unit with 9 other children. She is one of only three who survived.
    This is why I do not actually watch the TV show "Survivor", because it seems blasphemous to me to call opportunists "Survivors".

    Gotta go....therapist returning my call....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if... the world *could* be healed after the apocalypse, but a lot of people are working in secret to keep anyone from finding out how.

    That's for the alleged YA novel I'm allegedly working on. The mystery is still in formation, I've realized --- every time I write something it changes the premise. Phooey.

    ReplyDelete